6 Principles of Kata (Kata no Rokugensoku):
- Ikitakata: Kata must be alive and done with feeling and purpose
- Inen: Kata must be performed with Spirit
- Chikara no Kyojaku: Kata should be done with changes in application of power. Technique can be strong or yielding, hard then soft.
- Waza no Kankyu: Kata should be done with variations in the timing of movement, sometimes fast, sometimes slow.
- Kisoku no Donto: Kata must be done with a proper rhythm of breathing, when to inhale and exhale.
- Balance: Proper balance must be maintained in the performance of kata.